June 19, 2013

Panic


i became a First Aid & CPR instructor since last year November.

yesterday was my first time performing CPR on a real person.

...



i was in the middle of a briefing for a mock drill for a group of participants in Bangi. suddenly a man came to me and say "somebody collapse."

i was kind of confused. my mind says "huh?"

and the man repeat "somebody collapse. its true. go and take a look." as he pointed in a seminar room. 

i do not have any medical background. 

honestly if my partner, which is a male nurse, was not there; i'd really be in trouble.

so i yelled his name from the ground level of the building, because he was on level 1.

he seemed like he didnt hear me so 1 of our participants ran upstairs and called him; while i went into the room.

i saw a girl, collapse and no response. 

some people in the same room tried to feed her with a candy but i stopped them.

i called the girl to check for response; but there was none from her.

i got out of the room and my partner was there. 

we got in the room together and suddenly somebody said "give way, give way. these are our medics."

my mind once again said "huh?"

my partner check for response and asked for SAMPLE. and then he asked if they have already called an ambulance. 

they said they have already prepared a van to get the girl to the nearest hospital.

so our participants get our float-able spinal board and put the girl on it; and they lift her up and rush to the van.

before we put the girl on the van, my partner asked "is she breathing? can you check?"

i looked for her chest movement; but there was none.

i know i shouldnt have done this but, i put my hand on the xiphoid process.

then suddenly she breathed in... and out... and stopped.

so i confirmed with him that she is still breathing.

we lifted the girl and put her in the van.

some people asked if either me & my partner should go with them. 

i told my partner that i will go; because i am not sure if i can handle the training alone.

so i took my wallet & cellphone and rushed back to the van.

soon as they closed the vans door, my partner knocked on the window and gave me a signal that says "monitor her breathing."

i nodded and we - a van driver, a warden (sitting beside the pilot), the collapsed girl & her friend; and me - went off. 

on the way to the hospital, inside the van, the friend and i kept calling the collapsed girls name; and we tap her shoulder but there was no response. 

then i saw 'it' again.

she breathed in... and out... and stopped.

i called her; no response.

that is when i realized.

'it' was either gasping or agonal respiration.

i accidentally spitted out "oh, shit!"

then i grab my phone and tried to call to my ex colleague, which was also a nurse.

the friend also started to panic and asked me why and what is wrong.

my head kept saying "am i going to need to perform CPR on her? shit, i left my pocket mask in the training room."

but shit again, i didnt save my ex colleague number in my new phone.

so i called to my ex boss. 

the phone is ringing but there was no answer; and 'it' happened again. 

she breathed in... and out... and stopped.

so i started chest compression with only my right hand, while my left hand is holding the phone.

by the time my ex boss answered my call; the collapse girl suddenly breathed in very deep and coughed; and she asked for water. 

i told my ex boss her condition. he said some things to me but i guess i was too panic to really listen to him. 

we hung up and i monitored the collapse girls  breathing and response.

she seemed to weak to answer me; so i held her left hand and said to her if i call her name, i need her to answer by moving her fingers.

we reached the nearest hospital in less than 20 minutes.

in the hospital was immediately taken to the resuscitation room; then i received a call from my partner. he asked if the girl was in the green zone or the red zone. 

how am i supposed to know that the resuscitation room in the red zone or green zone? the curtains inside the room was green though. 


but... 


thank God that she do not need to be resuscitated. 

those hospital people stick needles on her, took her blood sample & sugar reading, measure her BP, etc..

i stayed there for a while and had the chance to talk to the collapse girl, the warden and the friend.

i called up to our coordinator telling her the situation. 

i need to get out of there fast because i really felt like puking since we reach the hospital; and i also need to go to lumut.

she said she will inform our boss. so our boss called me and asked me to take a taxi to go back to the training room. 

i told her i only have RM2.00 with me.

so she asked one of my junior colleague to fetch me from the hospital ER.

we went back to the training room, took the equipment and went back to hostel.

i decided to shower before driving to lumut with my partner.

and i finally puked.

and i felt really tired and nausea all the way to lumut yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment