July 19, 2013

Lies ~ 3: I am an Iban



i went to a training and spoke Manglish / Chinglish in my presentation;

as usual.

when we have our lunch break,

some of the participants come to sit with me and my partner.

we talked and talked 

♫ ♩ about how our parents will die ♪ ♬

hush, Fun!

when suddenly one of the participants asked:

"Gun, where are you from?"

before i can answer, my partner said:

"Gun is an Iban."

i just SMILED; and the participants said:

"oh, no wonder you speak like the east Malaysian people."

...

my language set up in my brain can easily be hacked.

which means;

if i were to become friends with those who are from different states,

i can easily adapt to speaking their dialect.

i can always tell people that i was born in Kuala LipisPahang.

but then my family moved to Temerloh, still in Pahang;

and i went to a boarding highschool which most of my classmates are from Kelantan & Terengganu.

after i graduated highschool, while waiting for college results, my family moved to Kuantan, Pahang.

after a year or two in college we moved to Johor.

and while in college, my best buddies are from Kuala Lumpur, Kedah, Pahang, Kelantan and Johor. 

i am working now. 

most of my coworkers are Malaysian Chinese. 

they speak Manglish most of the time;

and when i speak Manglish, i sounded like East Malaysian people;

or when my skin was darker people thought that i am Chindian;

because i sometimes speaks a little Mandarin & Cantonese.

Pahang, Kelantan, Terengganu, Johor, Kedah & Kuala Lumpur have different dialect each;

and please take note that in Pahang, 

Kuala Lipis, Temerloh, and Kuantan have different dialect each.

and i always use my ability to speak in Terengganu dialect 

every time i went there.

so why am i not telling the truth, you ask?

let me ask you this:

"would you prefer me to explain my whole life - how my family have been moving here and there; and how i met my friends in college; and how do i do at work now? 

or would you prefer me to just SMILE?"

well for me,

i have met a lot of people who asked me the same question;

and i hate to explain my whole life over and over again.

so i prefer to just smile and get everything over with.

No comments:

Post a Comment